Sunday, May 4, 2008

Finals Cravings

I thought I would start out with chatting about what my current favorite dishes are. It is finals time here in the land of college so I am definitely craving some comfort food and this is deeply reflected in my choices. So with no further ado here are my top 5 in no specific order: 1. MACARONI N CHEESE. This is a consistent dish on my food radar. I have always had a deep connection with macaroni for some reason. Maybe it was that it was the first thing I cooked on my own or was a staple of my childhood diet? Anyway you cut it this food is one of my all time favorites. Lately I have been experimenting with different types of cheeses to add to the sauce and whether it is better to start with a rue or not... I will have to report back with my findings. 2. BISCUITS. I haven't had time to make biscuits from scratch lately, but that hasn't stopped me from enjoying them. I have been relying heavily on the help of Pilsbury's Southern Style, which might seem like blasphemy to any biscuit lover. I really do enjoy there taste and they are just so convenient! 3. RED VELVET. Words can't even describe how much I love Red Velvet. I think my fist exposure to it was watching Steel Magnolias when I was like 8 and the infamous armadillo cake hit the screen. After a few attempts to make my own and the current cupcake on special at St. Louis's own Cupcakery I have fallen in love all over again. 4. FRIED RICE. Nothing soothes the soul like a fresh plate of fried goodness. I love when you combine things that are healthy like veggies and then find a way to devalue there nutrition. There is nothing better and in a place like Saint Louis there are literally hundreds of asian restaurants that offer many different styles of this dish. 5. GRANOLA. When you need maximum brain power it is usually a good idea to have some form of granola on hand. It is just one of those things that makes you feel good when you eat it and there are also a multitude of ways to enjoy it. During finals this week I will no doubt be partaking in some granola treats!

1 comment:

Sanita said...

ummmm you should know that sanita has the best fried rice in st.