Sunday, November 9, 2008

Fried What?

In my many days at state fairs I have seen a lot of different things fried. There are traditional corn dogs, cheese curds, french fries, pickles, and then you move on to your more extreme fried candy-bars, Twinkies,  and Oreos. In fact in the past couple of years a stand has been established that specializes in frying whatever you want. All you have to do is bring them the item that you would like to be deep-fried (the item has to be edible) and they batter it up and throw it on in for you.  I haven't actual used their service, but in the future I might have to take advantage. Anyway so this past Friday as I was traveling through Illinois I stopped at one of my favorite places Bandanas Bar-B-Q. I usually enjoy their smoked turkey lunch plate with the sweet N smoky sauce. The hardest part about ordering this meal though has always been picking only 2 of their great sides. Usually I go with their coleslaw or their potato salad, but on this day I was intrigued by fried corn. I had only glanced at it before on the menu, but today I had the crazy hankering to actually try it. 
When my order came to the table I have to admit I was intimidated by the huge fried corn cob in front of me. I practically ate my entire meal except for the corn, then finally I tried it and it wasn't for me. When they fry the corn it traps all the juices inside and leaves the outside crispy. I just felt the texture was off. I wish I could have gotten a picture of it, but alas I didn't capture it. I am just going to have to trust that people will try it for themselves, because even though I didn't like it I could see how someone might. Anyway I guess I know something that I won't be taking to the state fair to get fried next year. 

No comments: