Sunday, November 16, 2008

The Land of Lincoln's Signature Dish

Momma Dishing Up a Home-made Horseshoe

I can't believe that I have never blogged about the horseshoe before. Between all the time I try explaining them and the rest of the time I spend yearning for one. I should have found the time to blog about it. It really is an experience and to everyone who doesn't know I will explain the concept. 
The horseshoe originated in my hometown of Springfield, IL. The exact origin is unknown, but this doesn't keep people from staking claims on the idea. The actual recipe though is pretty basic, but everyone has their different adaptations. The base for the horseshoe is toast, either Texas style or really any bread of your choosing. Then you layer on the meat portion. This is where people get creative. I have seen everything from the very traditional hamburger patty to chicken, turkey, pastrami, roast beef, chorizo and tofu. I really enjoy the chicken patty at Bernie and Betty's, but everywhere else I try and stick to hamburger just so I can adjust to the nuances of the different styles. After you have the meat decision taken care of next comes the fries. For some people styles of fries are very important. I personally just enjoy fries with good seasoning. No plain-jane salt for me please, but others go off the styles like crinkle, steak, or any other distinction you can surmise. After the fries are piled on then it is time to add the CHEESE. To me personally this is what makes or breaks a horseshoe. Everything can be so-so about the horseshoe, but when you add a great cheese sauce it all just falls into place. Personally I prefer an yellow cheddar. This blasphemy to those who love the white cheddar sauce of D'arcy's Pint. D'arcy's has been featured on the FoodNetwork for their famous shoes. Don't get me wrong the white cheddar is tasty there is just something about that yellow cheese that gets me. 
Anyways the horseshoe is a Springfield delicacy. Other places may have something similar or try and imitate, but there is only one original. I suggest you either make your way up I-55 to get one(God knows it's the only reason I go home), or you head out to Schnuck's and gather up the ingredients to make your own unique horseshoe. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

best remaining yellow cheese sauces in town are

1. Burger shoe @ maldener's
2. Burger shoe @ Corner Pub.
3. Call me crazy but i do love a yellow cheese shoe at the Steak n shake.

My all-time favorite yellow cheese shoes were:

1. The Club Shoe @ Norb Andy's
2. The fried chicken patty shoe @ original Red Coach when the served them on those cast iron platters.